MENU

Wasilla High School group goes to Europe

Many waterways flow throughout Strasbourg, France along with German influences in the surrounding architecture.

Emmanuel Asher, Reporter

Leaving the terminal of Charles de Gaulle airport, five students from Wasilla High School along with a group from Owasso, Oklahoma arrived in Paris, France on March 12, 2017. I was one of the five.

Soon after landing we met our tour guide Lorena who could speak English, Spanish, French, and German. The bus ride from Charles de Gaulle allowed us to see the outskirts of Paris, mixing both old and new buildings. Some members of the group had never been to Europe before and for them this was an exciting moment. And for others, they were too jet-lagged to enjoy their first day in Paris.

The next day we set out to see famous French landmarks such as the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower. We also visited the Louvre Museum which included the famous Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci.

On the fourth day of the trip the journey to Strasbourg, France began with a long four-hour bus ride. Not too far away from Strasbourg the group was able to visit the champagne caves and learn how sparkling wine is made as well as the history of the company who makes them.

Later that day we were able to rest and enjoy the sites of Strasbourg the next day. Toward night we boarded an above ground tram with our group but as soon as we got off we noticed that someone was missing. An older chaperone had not gotten off even though she was talking with us but someone failed to see that we had gotten off. We had walked back to the hotel and it was there she showed up again after taking a little sight seeing the tour of Strasbourg.

The next morning we had to prepare for our trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a small German town in Franconia. The town was a mix of modern architecture and old medieval architecture in the center of the town. Rothenburg was the fairly quiet town with cobblestone streets in the older part of town surrounded with medieval walls and towers. It truly felt like a old German medieval town.

A store that I went to had tons of medieval armor, clothing, weapons, as well as alcohol and in the back of the store. The store also included things such as real chainmail armor and Roman and Norman helmets which were roughly 150 ($163) or more.

After a spending a few hours in Rothenburg we had to get back on our bus and begin the trip towards Munich which is a city in southern Germany. The city had many old buildings dating from medieval times to Hitler’s Third Reich.

We visited the BMW Museum first which was near BMW Welt. The museum showcased BMW’s history with their cars, motorcycles, and engines.

The museum had an impressive amount of cars that were kept in good condition along with their new electric cars.

The next place we visited was the Nymphenburg Palace, which was built in 1675. It was commissioned to be built by the prince-electoral couples of Ferdinand Maria and Princess Henriette Adelaide of Savoy after the birth of their son Maximilian II Emanuel.

The palace was very large and had large canals with swans and other birds. Our visit to the Nymphenburg Palace was very short and we were only able to visit the palace grounds.

The last place in Munich that we visited was the Dom Zu Unserer Lieben Frau (Cathedral of Our Dear Lady). The chimes of the Glockenspiel could be heard very clearly and it had mannequins that would move around every time it sounded.

Our last destination in Germany was the Dachau Concentration Camp located in a town named Dachau not too far away from Munich. Dachau was one of the first concentration camps built to originally hold political prisoners and eventually many others.

The camp was very large and had tons of information on the people who were sent here with hanging posters throughout the main building. The concentration camp also had things ranging from clothing to pictures of those who went here.

Our final day in Europe was pretty much preparing for our flights back home. We woke up early in the morning around 6:00 to 7:00 AM and we had to get on the bus to Munich Airport.

It was a fairly semi cold day with rain pouring down as we got our bags onto our bus before departing home. We eventually arrived at the airport and our tour guide Lorena watched as we went through airport security for it would probably be the last time she saw any of us.

Needless to say I wasn’t really ready to go back home and I wasn’t really looking forward to the long flight home. As our flight to Charles de Gaulle airport prepared to board the group from Owasso, Oklahoma wished us goodbye and we boarded our flight home.