MENU

Importance of spirit

Jesslyn Zahrt, Reporter

School pride typically refers to school sports events and images of rowdy students cheering for the home team and cheerleaders hyping up the crowd. These are the prime examples of the intensity school spirit creates. But it doesn’t end there; school pride is also in the less obvious ways we talk to one another, how we respect our school property and how we treat ourselves.

Wasilla High gives a Capturing Kids Hearts student survey every year to calculate school climate and spirit. Last year, WHS’s polls for the criteria “Students at this school treat each other respectfully” showed 51 percent of the students felt respected. One year later, the same survey question showed 47 percent: a 4 percent decrease. That’s more than half our school that doesn’t feel respected.

Wasilla also decreased regarding the question of “Students involved in helping solve school problems.” Last year 57 percent of the student body believed that they were involved in helping solve student problems, and this year only 54 percent felt they had a say.

This data is in direct contradiction to the high marks that aligned with staff showing respect to the students and if students felt respected by staff. These items on the survey show 89 percent of the student feel respected by staff. In summary, students feel respected by the adults, but not by their peers.  

This is a problem.

Walking down the hallway and hearing one student yell to another to “ just kill himself” is a problem. Walking on past without saying anything to either of the students is an example of not having a say in solving student problems. Solving disrespectful behavior begins with us.

When has it become acceptable to joke about suicide? Are we so desensitized to each other’s feelings that we joke about killing ourselves? Are we really going to rely on adults to solve this for us?

Contributing to this desensitizing disease is the technology resting in our hands. Unlocking your phone with the wave of light casting over you is like you’re stepping into our own little world of Snap Chat and memes. We’ve become obsessed. We ignore the world in front of us. At lunch instead of making memories with our friends, we are more concerned about how many likes our uploaded picture has on Instagram.

You don’t have to be a part of student government and teen leadership to show respect or solve problems in our school. You can just be an ordinary student trying to make your school a better place by confronting these aggressors of bad manners and harassment.

But, for some reason, we are choosing to ignore our classmates’ bad behaviors and leaving it up to the teacher to solve the problem even when we outnumber the teachers 30 to one. It can’t be the responsibility of the staff to change the school’s behavior. Ultimately, it is our duty to hold ourselves and others accountable.

Dressing up in red with super fan sign in hand and supporting our athletes is an example of respectful school spirit. Dressing up in red with super fan sign in hand and yelling profanity and dissing our players, along with dissing the opponents, is an example of immaturity and disrespectfulness.

We are supposed to live our actions by the Warrior Way: responsibility, excellence, and dignity. Yelling profanity and foul language at the opponent’s team’s players after they were just injured is neither responsible, excellent, nor dignified.

One brave moment a student took a stand and spoke up against a student who was yelling at a rival athlete, yet that student wants to stay anonymous in the paper with the fear of repercussions.

Is this what our school has become? I don’t know what’s more disappointing- the fact that we don’t speak up against disrespect and poor spirit, or the fact that doing so makes us scared.  

We strut around like we are entitled to be treated with the respect, but treat others without respect. In school events, we have parents, news reporters, even our assistant superintendent attending. What do you think they will say about our school? The student bodies before us worked hard to make Wasilla a respectable school and look what has happened to it now. Entitlement and delusion are built on self-centeredness and laziness. And it must stop with us.

We need to start living by the words of David Willis, “Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of ours.” Start with yourself. Learn how to be selfless and have the courage to take a stand. Hold yourself and others accountable for their actions. We need to reinstall the Warrior Way instead of installing apps on our phones.

We are the Warriors- girls and boys who are fearless and strong. It’s been woven into us since the first day we stepped through the school doors to be respectful and have dignity. It is time to show it. We are strong independent Alaskans. We’ve never waited for others to solve our problems, why wait now?

We at the Warrior Word challenge the students at Wasilla High School to start treating each other with respect. We put forth the challenge to begin resolving our school problems and increase our CKH survey data from 54 percent to 70 percent. We recognize the difficulty in that goal, but we also see students who are not afraid of a challenge to represent respect